Monday, June 18, 2007

I've decided too much of the Food Network can be a good thing

We had two sets of neighbors over this past Friday evening for dinner. One of the ladies is allergic to eggs, which eliminates quite a few things from a dinner and dessert menu when you think about it...so I was in a bit of a meal-planning quandry.

As I was sharing this with Cody, he said, "MOM! I know what we could make for her! Since she can't eat eggs, we can make what I saw on Sandra Lee's show...Semi-homemade. FRUIT KABOBS! It's really easy, you just take a bunch of pieces of fruit, like strawberries, pineapple, melon, grapes, and then you know, put 'em on a stick! That's what you should do!"

So, my five year-old, as it turns out, is a better and more creative meal planner than I. Sigh.

They actually were quite beautiful and enjoyed by all. I also made little angel foodcake cups and filled them with vanilla pudding and topped them with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries and added a little whipped cream. Very pretty, fresh, and yummy! I only wish I'd taken pictures.

So...just in case any of you were looking for dessert ideas, you know, my five year-old would be happy to help you.

9 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Hilarious! And as someone that also can't have egss (as well as dairy & nuts!) I think that sounds WONDERFUL!

Steph

P.S. You should email that Food Network show this story!

Glass Half Full said...

Let me just say this: ALTON BROWN RULES!!!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

My two older ones LOVE to watch cooking shows too:) But what a gift you are giving to your future daughter in law... a man that likes to cook:)

Kari Lynn said...

Tell him I might be in touch! ;)

Anonymous said...

That is sooo funny! and totally adorable!

Anonymous said...

A very nice story. By the way, you shouldn't worry so much about the no egg stuff when we get together. Lola will always find something she can eat...and if she does eat something with eggs, it's more like an inconvenience to her as opposed to being something that makes her completely miserable. The next time we get together, we'll just have to ask Cody what we can bring.

Anonymous said...

I've had similar issues lately as the still breast-feeding baby gets a rash from cow's milk products. Fruit kabobs sound great!!

Life With All Boys said...

I love the Food Network! And Hunter is my "little chef". He has all sorts of ideas!!

Marc Strathman said...

Hey Hap,
The 17th - the 21st should be fine. I think that is before I go back to school so Yes. We are hoping to make it up for Jerry's graduation party. Let us know the info on it when you get a chance. Also, what is your email? Mine is saxmarc@hotmail.com