Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'd Rather Have Jesus

An excerpt from Joseph M. Stowell's book, "Simply Jesus"
"If you had to choose between Jesus and something precious to you...some alluring dream or tantalizing desire...I wonder, would you choose Him?
The meal was just about finished when I leaned over and asked Billy Graham the question I had hoped to ask him all evening. Martie and I had been seated next to Dr. Graham at a dinner for the staff and board of his organization. Billy, eighty at the time, was lucid and interesting. Wondering what he would say about his highest joys in life, I asked, 'Of all your experiences in ministry, what have you enjoyed the most?'
Then (thinking I might help him out a little), I quickly added, 'Was it your time spent with presidents and heads of state? Or was it---'
Before I could finish my next sentence, Billy swept his hand across the tablecloth, as if to push my suggestions onto the floor.
'None of that,' he said. 'By far the greatest joy of my life has been my fellowship with Jesus. Hearing Him speak to me, having Him guide me, sensing His presence with me and His power through me. This has been the highest pleasure of my life!' It was spontaneous, unscripted, and clearly unrehearsed. There wasn't even a pause.
With a life full of stellar experiences and worldwide fame behind him, it was simply Jesus who was on his mind and on his heart. His lifelong experience with Jesus had made its mark, and Billy was satisfied.
I found Billy Graham's statement that evening more than convicting. I found it motivating - right to the core of my being. With everything in me, I want what he's experienced. I find my heart saying, If I make it to eighty, I want to say the same thing."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This excerpt from Dr. Stowell was for me this morning as I sat and had my quiet time. So often I look elsewhere, seeking many other things when what I really need to do is keep my eyes and my mind on Him. Nothing else can even come close to the peace and joy Jesus brings.
No matter what I or anyone I know is facing, there is One who can calm my anxious heart, ease my troubled mind, and satisfy my soul. His name is Jesus.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Happi, I think this might be your best post yet! All I can say is,

AMEN!