Saturday, January 19, 2008

If Poppop Could See Him Now

Today marked Cody's first ever violin performance, and I was so proud of him. He played a little ditty called "See Saw" and he did a great job. We watched many students play today, all proficient at different levels, and I think Cody's off to a great start. I found myself getting a little teary at one point (I had to wait to feel anything until afterwards since I was accompanying him on the piano), and I have since realized that my emotion was about my grandfather. .


In 2001, my grandfather gave me his violin. It is over 100 years old and was made by a German immigrant named Mr. Crinats. My grandpa started playing the violin when he was age five, just like Cody. When he gave me the instrument, he included a letter that I will treasure forever, and in the closing paragraph of the letter he writes:


"Maybe someday there will be somebody in your family who aspires to be a violin player. He or she can try their first notes on this old fiddle. Who knows, perhaps they may be playing at the Met. May all good things happen to you and to those who draw a bow across these strings."

Well, Poppop...you got your wish. Just look!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Truly a neat story. I bet Poppop was looking down on you all today, especially Cody.
You must be so proud of Cody.
Molly

Anonymous said...

How touching. Really, beautiful.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Wow- that is precious. So wonderful! Yay for Cody!

Steph

Kari Lynn said...

That is so special, made me tear up. Although it doesn't take much these days.

Just T said...

That is a beautiful story, Happi! I hope Cody gets many years enjoyment out of Poppop's violin :)

Glass Half Full said...

Look at him.....EXCELLENT!!

Lori

chrissy said...

Precious Boy! Beautiful post!