Monday, January 07, 2008

Curious Caden Strikes Again!


It never fails...just when you think he couldn't possibly get into ONE MORE THING, he does.

Cody's teacher assigned a snowman project for the kids over the break. The families were asked to work on the project together, and we were supposed to find things around the house to create our snowman.

We decided to make ours edible. So, we used marshmallows (2.5 lbs of them to be exact), m&ms, and tootsie rolls. Caden, of course, was intrigued with Mr. Snowman and decided it would be fun to keep grabbing at all the ingredients. We kept telling him NO, but he kept insisting. It made doing this "family project" somewhat challenging. To say the least.

We finally finished this masterpiece last night, and I think it turned out great.

This morning, I set it aside on the boys' little art table, as it is quite large and was taking up half the dining table. I didn't think twice about it. But I should have.

While going through a massive number of emails that I'd been neglecting, Caden had been busy. Suddenly, he appeared at the desk where I was sitting with tootsie roll smeared all over his innocent little face. He came to tell me that what he was eating was good ("mmmm....mmmmm," he said!).

Now, I wish I could tell you that the first thing that came to my mind was WHAT was used to glue all the pieces onto the posterboard, or even that I had thought to snap a couple pictures of Mr. Snowman and enemy #1 (for the blog of course), but alas, I began to express, in no uncertain terms, that what he'd done was a big NO NO.

And then it hit me.

The adhesive we used is made with acetone.

So I called the pediatrician immediately. Who told me to call poison control. Who proceeded to keep me on hold because she'd never heard of that product.

Come to find out, it's only really toxic when injested directly from the bottle. So, just watch for a rash in and around the mouth and difficulty swallowing. OH! Is that ALL?

Thankfully, Curious is taking a nap at this posting, and all is well in our household.

And if I play my cards right, big brother will never know what hit Mr. Snowman today.

5 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh no!! Glad it all ended up ok!

Steph

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Oh Man:) At least you can laugh now... Right? Well I'm laughing at least:)

I've called the poison center myself a few times.. thankfully with the same outcome:)

Kari Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, what a day. At least you're not on a first name basis with poison control, my cousin is, her son eats everything in his path.
I got your book on Friday and had an "Ah ha" moment within minutes of reading. I think it will be helpful. Thank you!
BTW, I had to giggle a bit too.

Glass Half Full said...

I remember the day I found Mark with Vaseline smeared all over his face. His curiosity beats Matt's by a longshot!!!

Glad all is well.

Lori

Life With All Boys said...

Oh No! I'm glad he is okay.