Friday, February 09, 2007

More Caffeine, Anyone?

I have turned over the floor to my husband. He had something to say...

Hello everyone- Happi's husband Jerry here.

Hap said I could make the entry for today, so, here goes.

Question: Does this country really need more caffeine-laced food products?

I saw a news article recently about caffeinated donuts that will soon be available. Some people are going to love this idea. We'll hear comments like, "Who needs a four dollar cup of Starbucks when I can eat a few long johns instead?", and "Thanks to Dunkin Donuts new caffeinated donuts, I've been up for 72 hours straight! I can't close my eyes, but I sure got alot of laundry done!".
Don't get me wrong, I love coffee. Anyone who knows me is familiar with my deep love and need for "liquid gold". I crave coffee almost all the time, but I know when to say when. (It's usually when I start shaking, or I can feel my heart beating just a bit too fast. You know the feeling...) But the thought of people adding more caffeine to their system, which is already ramped-up enough from double espresso's and venti caramel mocha triple-ccino's with room for soy milk, is a bit scary.

And, what about the children? Will these donuts come with a parental advisory? "Caution: These donuts should not be consumed by children under the age of 12. Side effects may include: dizziness, hyper-activity, numb lips, excitability, sudden bursts of energy, lack of sleep, rapid speech followed by loud outbursts, irritability, fingernail sensitivity, acid reflux, and sudden need for sleep."

Apparently the scientist who developed these tasty treats has pitched them to several major coffee chains, including Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme. Maybe Dunkin' Donuts should simply stuff coffee beans into an apple fritter and call it a day. Or perhaps Starbucks can develop a new espresso mayonnaise to go with their new line of fresh sandwiches. The possibilities are endless....

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh, seriously?! Ah, for once I am speechless... you've said it quite well, Happi's Husband!

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine how many calories would be in a coffee doughnut??? Kinda scary!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the commercial for the new kids movie? The ladies has on caffeine patches! It's pretty funny.

Just T said...

Hi Happi's Husband. Being over here in Australia, I have yet to hear about coffee donuts, but have to agree totally about the world and it's fascination with caffeine. I love my morning coffee, but when it comes to my children, I am VERY wary about products & the added flavours etc they put in them. I refuse to let my children drink Coke because of it. With the amount of children with learning disabilities, ADHD etc, not to mention obesity, they should really think twice about new products.
Sorry for the long rant. Kinda a pet peeve of mine lol