Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This Post is Dedicated to....Well, She Knows Who She Is.

Dearest Fearer of all Things Dentist,

I want you to know that I went to the dentist today.  And I'd like to share my experience with you. First of all, you need to know that I survived.  I was a good little girl and I followed up and had the work done that was needed to keep my teeth in good standing.  In doing so, I avoided potential crowns and future root canals.  I kept my appointment, despite my irrational fear of dentists, and with great trust in a God who watches over all his fearful children, I surrendered myself to the dentist's chair (and her tools).

This was not a routine cleaning, but it was fillings...old ones that needed replacing.  Dr. A (we'll call her) was very gentle, very quick, and it was painless.  (Honestly, the worst part was having to hold my mouth open for such a long time...not the drilling, the noise, or even the shot).  I watched Rachel Ray talking to Robin McGraw on my own personal television, remote in hand. I listened to Selah on my ipod and closed my eyes as they serenaded me with "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."  

In exactly one hour, I was up and walking out of the office good as new, with teeth that will continue to treat me well and hopefully stand the test of whatever time I have left here on this earth.

May my calm and very "zen" experience encourage you to march your little self to the nearest office and face the tooth monsters that may be lingering in your childhood memories.  Find an office that says, "We cater to cowards."  Do whatever it takes.  Just DO IT.  Trust me...you'll be glad you did.  And your teeth will thank you.

Love,

Your caring, concerned, loving, newly filling-enhanced sister

P.S.  They don't do silver fillings anymore.  What a BONUS!
P.P.S.  Poppop would be so proud of us if every one of his girls would face their irrational fears and visit the dentist every six months.  
P.P.P.S.  The equipment isn't what it used to be.  I couldn't even smell the burning odor!
P.P.P.P.S.  For your information, to expand on my first P.S., fillings are no longer in that annoying silver color.  You can choose from an array of fashionable colors to match the color of your teeth.  Concerned about staining?  They  have a color for that!
P.P.P.P.P.S.  I love you.  : )

2 comments:

Kari Lynn said...

I know you weren't but you could have been writing this to me. I am SO fearful of the dentist.

Love & miss you!

Anonymous said...

I did try and leave a comment last night, but things were a little wacky when I attempted.

Anyhoo . . . I am proud of you, know that Poppop would be proud and that Lou Vicelli (God rest his soul) would be . . . uhm, well I don't know about that one, but I'll get back to you on it.;-)