Thursday, December 07, 2006

December 6th: Baking Cookies Together

One of my favorite Christmas traditions, ever since childhood, is baking Christmas cookies. Last year, my friend Diane invited me over to share in this tradition, and she taught me HOW to not only bake great cookies but also how to decorate them. We use piping, royal icing, glaze, and all kinds of fun decorative touches to make the perfect cookie. (She's amazing. Thanks, Diane!)
Today we got together to continue the tradition. Sometimes we play Christmas music. We always talk and catch up on life, and most of all, we enjoy one another's company. I love the common bond we have in Christ. The kids love to play with one another and join in on the fun, stirring up their creativity and the batter.
This year, when you make your cookies, talk about what the shapes symbolize. Talk again about the meaning of Christmas, and share what's on your heart with your children. It will be a fun time that you spend together and a tradition they too will enjoy for years to come.
5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:5-9

4 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Wow, your cookies are beautiful! I'm impressed:)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

My goodness your cookies are amazing! We made some yesterday and no way in the world will I be taking pictures of them! HA!

Glass Half Full said...

I swear those cookies are the best I've seen!

Anonymous said...

Happi...those cookies look AMAZING!! I have yet to bake mine, and I too, look forward to doing that with the kids.
God Bless,
Molly