Did you know most Christmas decorations have meaning behind them? Share with your children the origins and meanings of special decorations that point to Christ.
Here are just a few examples:
- Greenery symbolizes God's everlasting love shown through the birth of Christ.
- Holly's pointy edges symbolize the thorns that Christ wore as a crown, and its berries the drops of blood that He shed.
- Lights remind us that Jesus is the light of the world.
- The tree points heavenward and reminds us of the cross where Jesus died.
- The candy cane has red stripes reminding us of the blood Jesus shed for us. The white stands for Jesus our Savior, sinless and pure. The shape, a J, symbolizes Jesus. Turn it around and it will look like a staff, reminding us that Jesus is our good shepherd.
- The wreath is in the shape of a circle, standing for Christ's divine, eternal nature.
Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come...
"Song of Songs 2:12