Saturday, November 18, 2006

Happy Birthday, Jesus!


Yes, I know it's a bit early, but I was going through some old pictures today and found this one of Cody a couple years ago after we had worked hard to make our very first Happy Birthday Jesus cake.
This year, I intend on having my shopping and decorating done early so that I can help my family focus on the true meaning of the season. Last year, we made a comittment to sitting down as a family every Sunday during advent. It was a really special time and it's one of the things that stands out in my mind about how we celebrated last year (well, and us going to cut down our own Christmas tree in several feet of snow!!!). I also have an Advent book with practical ideas on how to make Christmas about Christ, and we enjoyed doing several of those things as well.
I post this today, because I hope to encourage everyone who reads this to do the same. As Christmas rapidly approaches, let's commit to keeping our eyes on the One from whom we've received the greatest gift.
Joy to the world! The Lord is come;
Let earth receive her King,
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And heaven and nature sing.
~Isaac Watts, 1719

1 comment:

Glass Half Full said...

I try to find ways to take our eyes off all the gift-giving and what matters: JESUS!!!

Thanks for the reminder!