Monday, May 18, 2009

Down at the River

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.
~Psalm 42:1


This morning, I was out for an early morning walk. It's a beautiful day here today. When I left the house, the sun was just coming up and there was enough of a chill in the air to see my breath and need layered clothing. The sky was clear and blue and the birds were singing (they still are as I type this!). I'm thinking that I may forgo the praise and worship music on my ipod tomorrow and just listen to the sounds of Creation singing His praises!

My walk took me to the river nearby, and just as I was rounding the bend to head back in the direction of home, I noticed two deer standing very still, watching me. I continued walking, so as not to disturb them, but as soon as they felt I was far enough away from them, they both walked to the river's edge and drank.

I immediately thought about the verse that says, "As the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after thee...." What a beautiful picture.

May we each take time today to drink the Living Water our gracious God has abundantly given us. It's there for the taking if we will just come to the river.

2 comments:

Jody said...

I love the idea of forgoing the praise and worship music and listening to the sounds of Creation singing!

Julie V. said...

Happi,

How neat to see two deer drinking at that river this morning. I was just reading in the book of John this morning about Jesus giving the Samaritan Women true living water! Where one never grows thirsty again.

Only He can truly satisfy our souls and fill us up to overflowing. He's so good to do that for us.

Sounds to me you will be taking more morning walks!!!

Love,

Julie