Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Birthday, Kari!

Today is my sister's birthday!!!  

Happy Birthday, Kari!

I am so thankful that Kari and I are only five years apart, because I've had the privilege of walking closely in her footsteps.  And what a great example she has been to follow!

Kari, I have so many happy memories of our years growing up together, memories we love recalling when we're together:  The "magic" that was Nanny and Poppop's house, Husker football, the shows we've done (and all the entertaining people we've met along the way), doing "tricks" in the middle of the living room floor, inching ever closer to the coffee table (making mom nuts with worry that somebody was going to get hurt).  Then there were the Indian burns, the barbies you wouldn't let me play with (oops, sorry, I didn't mean to let that slip out), and the event that led to your aversion of all things chipmunk.

Though I can't recall specific times you held my tiny hand when we walked across a busy street, I'm sure you held it tightly, for you always have been my big sister, always protective, ever looking out for my best interests.

You are loyal and faithful...always giving to others, showing concern and compassion for those you love, and never complaining.  

God has allowed each of us to experience some times of loss and pain, and you've always been there to lay a reassuring hand on my shoulder.  Without saying much, I know you understand.

You've stood beside me on my wedding day, held my hand as my newborn babies entered the world, and cried beside me in times of sadness.  Laughed with me, cheered for me, listened to me.  

I am blessed beyond measure to call you "Sister."

Legend has it that you went into a closet to hide and threatened never to come out when I came into the world in 1973.  

I hope you've since changed your mind about me. 

You're the best big sister a girl could ask for. 

God bless you on this momentous occasion and may He grant you more wonderful memories ahead.

The Best is Yet to Come. 

2 comments:

Kari said...

Awwww . . . you're the best! And yes, I've come out of the closet since that fateful day in '73! ;-) Thanks for such a beautiful message-I too am blessed. Love you bunches!

P.s. You had every single one of those Indian burns coming to you!

Kari Lynn said...

What a beautiful post. You two are so lucky to have each other. (Like I needed to tell you that)