Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mommy and Me

Cody and I had a date on Friday night. The plan was for me to take him to dinner and then for us to go to our church to attend the Mother-Son Dance. This is the second dance we've attended together this year (his school hosted one too), so I feel very blessed to have had this experience with him twice in just a few months!

We enjoyed a pasta and pizza dinner, and then I watched Cody devour his ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce, caramel drizzle, crushed Oreos, and whipped cream. I was good and simply watched. No dessert for this mama.
We then headed over to the church for the dance. When we walked in, everything was decorated to accompany the race car theme (thus our shirts). They also set up a ramp for car races (the boys were much more interested in playing with the cars than they were in dancing with their moms, but it did keep them entertained for quite some time!)
We have a winner!

Cody impressed everyone with his "moves." Several people approached me and asked me where he got his good rhythm and coordination. I proudly told them he gets it from his Nanna. Together, we twisted, jitterbugged, and did the Cha-Cha. Back in the days before kids, Jerry and I used to go line dancing, so when "The Chatahootchie" came on (I have absolutely NO idea how to spell that), I surprised myself when I remembered how to do it! One other mom remembered it too, and we were huffing and puffing afterward. Man, I'm outta shape!

At the end of the dance, there was just one more thing to do. Cody extended his hand (after my instruction on how to do so) and said, "Mom, may I have this dance?" We walked out onto the floor of the gymnasium and danced to "The Way You Look Tonight." I ended up picking him up and dancing with him so we could twirl together (he's a little too short yet to dance comfortably), and we ended with a dramatic dip.

Someday, I know Cody will be too old to want to accompany his mom to the church dance. I'm so glad he's willing to spend this time with me now. These days pass so quickly when they're little. I'll take as many Cody-Mommy dates as I can get!

8 comments:

Jody said...

What a sweet date night. I love when I am able to get good one-on-one time with the kids.

Anonymous said...

Awwwww . . .

Glad you had fun!

Glass Half Full said...

I know I love my date with Matt every Valentine's Day. Maybe this is why I love having boys so much??? =) And look at you with your Earnhardt tee on!!

Lori

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

So VERY very sweet! Man the more I learn about your little man the more I like him:)

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness, that sounds like a fun date!

Tonya said...

I was just thinking about suggesting our church did a dance like that. Sounds so fun! You should let me know next time you have one and we could double date :)

Just T said...

That is the sweetest thing ever! I have never heard of anyone having them over here in Australia. I know my son would be right into it.

Glad you both had a great date night :)

chrissy said...

Precious. Way to treasure your time with him!!!