Friday, September 08, 2006

Remembering Poppop

Many people ask me, "so what's with the Cornhuskers?" I'm so glad you asked. My family and I lived in Omaha, Nebraska for eleven years. It will always be my home because it's where I grew up. If you've ever lived in Nebraska, been to Nebraska, or know someone in Nebraska, there is one universal thing that binds us all together...it's our love for the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

For as long as I can remember, the Cornhuskers have always been part of who we are as a family. When I was little, Saturdays were always the days when my parents and grandparents, Nanny and Poppop, would tailgate to Lincoln, have lunch and do the "tailgate party" thing, go to the game, come home, and go out to be with other fans later that evening. Saturdays were truly football days, and we always wore our colors.

When we moved away from Nebraska, we found ourselves in hostile territory at times. Not everyone loves the Huskers like we do. But occasionally, you'd stumble upon a fellow fan wearing his/her colors and immediately you were fast friends. My grandfather, "Poppop" has always been the thread that kept us connected to our favorite team, filling us in on the latest news, telling us who to watch for, and what people were saying about this year's recruits.

This past May, my dear Poppop passed away and went home to be with the Lord. Last Saturday, my Huskers played an awesome game to open this Husker season. I know Poppop was smiling and rooting for his favorite team with all of us, shouting, "GO BIG RED!" We miss you, Poppop.

No comments: