Saturday, January 09, 2010

Boys Will Be Boys...



Having grown up with sisters, the whole concept of mothering boys has been a pretty foreign one to me. I try to read every book I can get my hands on about the subject, but I do have days when I just do not understand the male species. I have days when I am totally out of patience with them, but the truth is, I would not trade these days of being their mommy for the world. I really enjoy being the mother of boys!

Still, the sights, sounds, and SMELLS of little boys are pretty shocking to me, even eight years into this parenting adventure. Lately, however, it's the things they say. They have been unusually "witty" lately.

Yesterday, for example, while standing at the sink in my bathrobe brushing my teeth, my youngest sticks his head in my back side and says, "Mom? Did you wash your puny?" (I have no idea WHAT a puny is, but I'm preeeeetty sure I washed it.)

Today, while discussing a friend who recently had a baby via c-section, Cody says, "Did you know some people don't even have a belly button? It's TRUE!"

During that same conversation, Cody was asking how a baby eats while in utero. We tried explaining the concept of the placenta and how it nourishes the baby. He replied, "Well, where does it go when the baby comes out?" I looked at Jerry and said, "Honey? Would you like to address that?" But before he could answer, Cody said, "Oh wait. I know. It comes out of your butt."

While eating lunch one day, the boys were being quite, um, LOUD, at the table. When I told them that I didn't think it was polite for them to be quite so FREE with their bodily functions at the dinner table, Cody responded, "But mom, we can't HELP it! We're boys!!!"

Truer words were never spoken.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I don't know what to say. Truly. Completely stumped. Good luck and God Bless. ;-)

Charity said...

So funny!! I love the stories and can't wait to start posting some of my own with baby girl! 1 week from Monday is due date.... though I wouldn't mind meeting this wee one sooner than later... =) luv ya!